I’ve got a fairly large international SEO project a head of me, so I’ve been scouring the internet to learn everything I can about the best ways to appear in search engines in other countries. Here are seven pretty basic tips to international SEO:
- Identify the language with the Meta tag: <meta name=”Language” content=”CN”> (for China)
- Use domain extensions of the country (.fr, .co.uk, .cn)
- Provide crawlable text using the native language.
- Include street addresses within the country
- Obtain inbound links from the sites in the country you wish to do SEO.
- Host the site in the country
- Spell words accordingly for similar languages (“optimization” in the US vs. “optimisation” in the UK)
Here’s a great illustration showing the above.